Monday, July 30, 2012

Church day and Monday

Yesterday Lisa and I decided to accompany our housekeeper, Dollas, to church. Needless to say it was quite African and our pale faces were sticking out nicely in the crowd. This became most apparent when the preacher, making a very passionate point about the power of Christ, points to us and says “Look! The Blood of Christ brings all races together! Look at the Mzungus!” after which over 400 Kenyans turned to see who he was talking about. Lisa and I gave a sheepish wave and had to laugh. It is a true and powerful point that Jesus unites a variety of cultures; it was just funny to be the example in the illustration. After that we went to the other church just down the road which was very western and reminded me of home. The Pastor is actually from texas and its called Crossroads Fellowship, so i'll be investigating that further next week.
I was back in Minor Theatre today, I removed some sutures, did a catheter, redressed some wounds, etc. I’m getting a lot more confident about taking initiative in there but I’m also trying to be wary about “do no harm, cause no malice”. There isn’t a high standard for patient comfort in this hospital but I still don’t want to treat them like they are just experience for me. Today was also the first time anyone got onto me about being sterile. I went up to major theatre to see if any big surgeries were happening and the second that I stepped across the threshold a nurse came charging over to tell me about the microorganisms I was carrying on my shoes and could I please consider the danger of being unsterile. I was then promptly given a fresh pair of extra large scrubs, rain boots, and a hairnet, just to walk 10 steps in to look at the list of surgeries. I have to give her credit for making an effort towards sterility though; it was quite a refreshing reprimand. Later, Beatrice came back in to have her wounds cleaned and redressed. She was the one in the bus accident on the way to Nairobi who had a really torn up arm. She is getting to used to having me treat her. I am putting lack of patient interaction on the  “con” list for being a surgeon. She is an incredibly strong woman and I want to cry for her every day. I have to soak gauze in Biodine and basically wipe clean all the puss that her body is producing to get fresh blood to flow for the wound to heal. Its gruesome and looks incredibly painful every time. She is a champion screamer though and today she said “ Maya, MY DEAAA (dear), this pain is WOSE (worse) than childbirth!”  I also saw a really awful foot injury and a man whose fingers were basically dangling off from the top knuckle. I assisted in both instances, but it was Lisa’s last day so she got priority. The take away from the day is that patient interaction might be more important to me than I originally thought. I wish I could carve out my own specialty, so I could see my patients regularly and also be there surgeon, for the relationship aspect and the trust that it builds. Beatrice and I have a steady date for everyday at 2 o’clock and I find myself looking forward to it, not for the interest that I have in her wounds, but for the interest that I have in her healing.

                                                            Removing some sutures
                                                                       Foot Injury 
He said he stepped on a nail

                                         holding onto a wire as it was pulled through his hand

Using the glove wrapper as a sterile field

1 comment:

  1. AGH! These pics are close enough to the action for me...proud that you are there to love on and doctor these people. "Beatrice and I have a steady date for everyday at 2 o’clock and I find myself looking forward to it, not for the interest that I have in her wounds, but for the interest that I have in her healing." POETIC & BEAUTIFUL.

    ReplyDelete